If the Bush Inn is reputed to be the oldest continuously licensed hotel in Australia it is probably fitting that Tasmania's oldest church also exists in New Norfolk. The Anglican Church of St Matthew in Bathurst Street opposite the delightful Arthur Square was built in 1823.
The church was built as a response to the rapid expansion of population in the district. By 1822 there were 600 people living in the area. The church, which has been changed significantly over the years, was consecrated in 1828 by Archdeacon Scott from Sydney. It has been the subject of numerous alterations. In 1833 extensive additions made it a much more impressive building. A tower was added in 1870 and in 1894, after a period of energetic fundraising, the chancel was added and the windows, roof and transepts were altered. It is clearly not the same church which was built on the site in 1823.
All that is left of the original church are the walls and flagged floor of the nave and part of the western transept. Perhaps the most interesting feature of the church is the excellent stained glass windows.
In August, 1925 there were centenary celebrations as reported in The Mercury (Trove archives).